The ARC has incorporated a number of accessibility initiatives in its design, build and program implementation. The key components of the Cockburn ARC are fully accessible.
Accessibility information for people with disability
- Ample accessible parking
- Drop off and pick up area
- Standard accessible toilets throughout
- Lift access to upper level (gym and group fitness studios)
- Wheelchair seating allowances in the sports hall
- Companion-Card affiliated; people with disability who have a Companion Card can bring a carer along, and the carer won’t incur entry fees (valid Companion Cards must be presented on request at each visit)
A range of accessible equipment is available at the ARC’s gym, including:
- Upper Body Ergo machine
- Kinesis Cable Machine
- Plus a variety of free-weights and other portable equipment
The ARC also supports a number of inclusive programs, including providing for wheelchair sporting clubs and other inclusive sports.
For more information, please view our clubs page
Adult Change Facility
The ARC has an adult change facility for people with disability who require space and assistance to manage their bathroom needs. Located in the Wellness Lounge, the adult change facility includes:
- an adult-size change table
- ceiling hoist – with tracks to the shower, toilet and indoor warm water pool
- space for carer assistance
Please note: the adult change facility is reserved for people with disability. Baby and family change areas are also provided, and there are standard accessible toilets available throughout the facility.
The adult change facility contains the following equipment:
- Ceiling Hoist
- Adult-size change table
The hoist controller is kept at the main administration desk. Please ask one of our friendly staff if you require the hoist control. Patrons will be asked to complete a form to use the hoist.
Please note: Slings (disposable or otherwise) are not provided by the ARC. If you are unsure about your sling’s compatibility with the hoist provided in this facility, please contact the supplier, manufacturer or prescribing therapist, or call the Independent Living Centre's Advisory Service on 1300 885 886 for advice.
ARC staff are not able to assist you with your continence or change requirements within the adult change facility.
There are a range of pool access options for people with disability at the ARC, including ramp, hoist and water wheelchair options.
There are three Platypus Pool & Wet Area water wheelchairs available for free hire. These wheelchairs are lightweight (15kg) and weight-rated to 120kg. The water wheelchairs are able to be pushed or self-propelled as required.
Ramp access to pools
There is ramp and handrail access to the:
- 25-metre indoor heated pool
- 50-metre heated outdoor pool
- Warm Water Pool with spa jet zone (note: Wellness Lounge rates apply)
- (please check re learn to swim and indoor water playground pools)
Hoist access to pool
There is a ceiling hoist in the adult change facility which tracks directly into the warm water pool in in the Wellness Lounge (NB - Wellness Lounge rates apply to use the warm water pool).
The hoist may also be used to assist patrons transfer to a water wheelchair if required.