Health Club Expansion Consultation
In early 2019, the City of Cockburn conducted its first stage of community consultation to consider potential expansions of the health and fitness facilities at Cockburn ARC. The survey attracted almost 2,000 responses with members, customers and ratepayers providing feedback on the gym and group fitness spaces at ARC following an internal review.
We'd like to summarise for you the results of the survey, show you what we're proposing with the expansion and modification to operating hours then invite you to provide us with your feedback.
What you told us
Your feedback about the gym
- Like the equipment and layout
- Would like to see some additional equipment
- Gym can be busy at peak times
- Hours okay but could be longer
- Would like additional lockers
- The gym floor space is too small
- Multiple requests for the gym to be 24/7
What you told us about the main group fitness studio
- Sometimes it can be busy
- Would like it to be larger
- Floor can sometimes be slippery
What you told us about the mind and body studio
- Would like the size to be bigger to accommodate more attendees
- Would like a little more ambience
- Concerned about noise from neighbouring studios
And you were generally satisfied with the equipment and size of the indoor cycle studio
You told us that not many of you currently utlise the Member's Lounge, but would like to see some additional lockers.
What we've done since
Taking into consideration your feedback, the City appointed an architect in April 2019 to investigate options to expand the health and fitness facilities and develop a concept plan to improve the size of the gym and group fitness studios.
Now, we invite you to view the proposed concept plan and provide feedback to help shape the final proposed design for Council consideration. View our frequently asked questions Summary of proposed changes:
- Increase the size of the gym to 1,500m2 (approximately 500m2 increase)
- Increase the size of the Body and Mind studio to 250m2 (approximately 140m2 increase)
- Relocate all three studios (still within the level 1 space) to ensure better utilisation of space, improved sound and comfort.
- Move level 1 administration to other areas of facility and rework the reception space.
- Converting the gym to 24 hour access
View the proposed changes to the health club in this video:
Video is for illustrative purposes only and subject to change as the proposed extension progresses.
Now, have your say!
Our quick 2 minute survey will really help us in understanding what our members think about the proposed changes.